Sometimes two-wheel transportation just isn't enough to get you there. All JeffCo Express vehicles are equipped with easy-to-use external bike carriers. However, occasionally buses on trips that are normally equipped with bike racks will not have the rack due to maintenance schedules or other unforeseen circumstances. For your safety, load your bike only at designated bus stops. Bicycles are not permitted inside the bus. Additionally, for the safety of our passengers, JeffCo Express Operators cannot leave the bus to assist with loading or unloading bicycles. JeffCo Express is not responsible for damage to, or caused by, bicycles on transit property.
How to use your bike on JeffCo Express
- You must be at least 16 years old to use a bike carrier, unless you are accompanied by an adult.
- You and your bike can ride on the same bus for a single fare.
- No special permit is required.
The bike carriers are very easy to use. Just follow these steps:
- Lower the carrier rack with one hand while holding your bike with the other hand. Simply grasp the rack handle, squeeze it and pull forward until the rack is completely lowered.
- Lift the bike into either of the carrier's wheel wells. The placement of the front wheel is clearly shown in writing on the rack. All sizes of single-rider bikes will fit (with tires no larger than 700 x 38 (27” x 13/8")). Each carrier holds two bikes.
- With the bike sitting in the rack, raise the locking arm and pull it up over the front tire of the bike. The only point of contact between the carrier and the bike is the rubber tire. Make sure your bike is secured properly: the locking arm should be at the 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position on the front tire depending on which way the bicycle is facing.
- Board the bus and sit as close to the front as possible so you can keep your bike in view.
- At your stop, exit from the front of the bus and let the operator know you will be unloading your bike.
- If no other bikes are in the carrier, return it to its upright position.
Rules Of The Road
Riding the bus with your bike can be fun. Here are some helpful hints when taking your bicycle along on your bus trip:
- For your protection, load your bike only at designated bus stops.
- Be ready at the bus stop. If you plan to remove anything from your bike, do so before the bus arrives.
- Load your bike as quickly as possible. Be considerate of your fellow passengers who may need to make a transfer down the line.
- For your safety, never step to the street side of the bus when loading or unloading your bike.
- Please do not attempt to bring your bike inside the bus. If the bike rack is full, you will have to wait for the next bus.
- For safety reasons, the operator will not leave the bus to assist with loading or unloading bicycles.